#2 Let's Start An Adventure




    
    Now that the weather is finally warming up I am determined to make a bucket list to keep me busy while residing here in the beautiful state of Arizona. Living semi-quarantined over the last year, missing out on so many events that were cancelled, has left me feeling stir crazy and ready to spread my wings. If the sun is shining and the wind isn’t blowing my go to destination for peace is on the lake in my kayak. I love fishing while seeing wildlife in their natural habitat. Even though I can’t wait to get back out on the water without freezing I also would like to broaden my horizons and visit new or memorable places that are close enough for a day or weekend trip. 

    The Lava River Cave in Flagstaff, AZ is one of the most beautiful and surreal hikes. You park in a large clearing of pine trees that also offer a gorgeous setting for picnicking. The hardest part of the hike is entering the cave and having to climb down wall of rocks, but once you are inside it is a pretty easy walk. Throughout the mile hike you are in complete darkness except for the glow from your flashlight. The walls and ceiling sparkle from the endless water droplets covering their surface. It is a bit chilly and for the guys with beards, don’t worry when your breath condensation builds up and soaks all that facial hair. This is a hike I highly recommend having completed it multiple times over the years.

 

    We all know about the magnificent Grand Canyon and many of us are aware of Snow Bowl in Flagstaff where you can play in the snow or ride the gondola in summer while getting a tree top view of the forest and mountains. Did you also know that there is an Extreme Adventure Course nearby? Here you can zipline through the trees or climb though a course that gets more difficult the further you go. I haven’t had a chance to ride the gondola or fly through the trees yet but as soon as the snow melts I will be heading that way.  After living in the snow and forced to shovel a tunnel to the car I am now a fair weather or blazing heat girl. That frozen slush can stay far away from me! 

    Below I have a compiled a list of places to see to create a memorable day. I have visited a few but most are places I have been itching to see for years. From the ethereal waters of Emerald Cove to the painted landscape of the Vermillion Cliffs there is something to see in every corner of my state. Don’t forget to throw in a few ghost hunting adventures and some spelunking deep underground in our caves. I hope I have given you a few ideas to get out and refresh your soul the way I do. If there is a must see I haven’t listed please share! We all need to reset ourselves now and then. Most importantly though….after your great adventure make sure to pamper yourself a bit by throwing in a massage or a pedicure every now and then. 

Hikes: 










Mining or Ghost Towns: 

Tombstone  - Gun Fights and old Saloons... Yes Please!






Caves: 

Grand Canyon CavernsStay in the Cavern Suite or share a                                       meal in the Grotto Coronado Cave 











Around Phoenix: 

Schnepf Farms - The Peach Festival is absolutely stunning.  Perhaps this year I'll make some jam too!
Natural History Museum DINOSAURS!!! 





Water Destinations: 

Lake Pleasant - You can hear the wild donkeys well before you spot them as they come down to catch a drink.
Salt River Wild Horses, is there anything more amazing? I think not!
Goldwater LakeThe last few times I have been there were a pair of Eagles perched in the pines to the left of the Dam that occasionally would swoop down and grab a fish.  OK, they tie with the amazingness of the wild horses I guess!


National Parks and Monuments: 

Meteor Crater - Pictures do NOT do this place justice.  
    We are just tiny blips compared to the force and outcome from that flying rock that changed our landscape.




Get Out And Go Explore!



Comments

  1. Hi! I just wanted to drop by and say thank you! Thank you for not only providing a good read, but for also providing loads of hiking spots! I've been looking for fairly easy, but also beautiful hikes and seeing this complied list is perfect! I also love all the pictures you decided to include, as I love a good view. Thanks again for the share, I hope to see more from you in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is WOW on your blog! It was informative, detailed and the links took you directly to the websites for each location. I am a native of Arizona and had no I idea of all the beautiful places that are in and around Arizona. My family and I are already planning to visit most of your suggestions, as soon as COVID is behind us. I want to start with the Extreme Course zip lining, it sounds like a blast! The WAVE is beautiful, I had never seen or heard about it. The pictures are breathtaking! I enjoy reading your blogs so much! You are a great blogger and I am loving reading blogs, it is a whole new world for me.
    Thanks for sharing and what a great job you did. I applaud your efforts.
    P.S. I can't wait to read more of your blogs...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog! Thank you for providing details and information of places you recommend to visit. I always thought of Arizona as a boring state, but you showed multiple places that would be great to visit. I myself have only ever been to the Grand Canyon and Saguaro Lake. I would also love to try hiking because not only would it be a great workout, it would show me beautiful views of Arizona. Thank you again for this blog! Once this pandemic ends, I might just visit some of these wonderful places.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! I love this post! My best friend and I are always looking for something to do, especially things that doesn't involve spending a lot of money. Next time we are sitting around wondering what we should do, (hopefully) I'll remember what you had said about the caves! Going to the caves sound amazing and based on your picture, it is definitely worth it go to. Looking forward to any new posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my favorite blog yet! It was so informative and made me want to get up and attend them all! I have actually been to some places listed and they are absolutely beautiful. This will actually be very helpful for me because I am planning a get away trip for my birthday. I really want to see more of Arizona because I have been here my whole life and have only been to 3 places. I can't wait to go to a lake or to a waterfall! Thank you for this informative and useful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Jennifer--Your blog is looking great! You have great topics, and you develop them very well. You are authentic, personable, detailed, and clearly connected to your content and your purpose. Very nice job keeping rhetoric in mind while writing and designing your blog and entries. Your writing flows very well, and you're quite engaging. Excellent. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#4 Final Score: Lemon Marmalade 0, Me 1

#9 Fueling Up The Right Way

#5 No Thank You Mr. Raccoon