#8 Guardian for a Lifetime

 

    I have a dinosaur that inhabits the east side of my backyard. He is a slow-moving, grumpy old man that only comes out of hiding between April and October. Short, elephant-like stumpy legs protrude from a large basketball-sized disc covered in hexagons shaded in greens and browns. A long serpent-like neck supports a bulbous head that stretches out for beady black eyes to stare you down. He has emerged from a six-month hibernation ravenous for a meal consisting of dark leafy greens and topped with bright crimson, juicy strawberries. 

    This demanding, minuscule but giant reptile is named Yertle. He is a loved companion that wandered into my family's life around 2009. The nation was in a recession, and our neighborhood had become desolate due to the many empty homes facing foreclosure. I had just arrived home after driving two hours in the scorching heat following a grueling 12-hour shift at the hospital. Dusk was setting in as I pulled into the driveway, and as I inched my way towards the front door, a large rock suddenly moved, causing me to jump backward and spill the contents of my purse throughout the gravel landscaping. 


    
Leary, I bent down to gather my wits and the dropped belongings. Upon closer inspection, I see that the rock was coming closer and not a rock at all. This giant creature was a Sonoran Tortoise that was now pawing at my foot and stretching his face upwards to get a better look at me. Instantly I knew someone's pet had escaped, and in fear of wild coyotes or reckless drivers, I brought the tortoise into my backyard for safekeeping. Over the next few weeks and many flyers later, our new friend continued to go unclaimed. Thankfully, the Arizona Game and Fish Department provided us with heaps of information on properly caring for Yertle since he was most likely a captive pet who had been                                                                                                                           abandoned or let loose to fend for himself. 



 Ten years later and Yertle now lives quite comfortably. His semi-shaded enclosure is full of edible plants and grasses that he can munch on throughout the lazy days of spring and summer. We have a window overlooking his area, and if he should notice that the curtains are open, he will rub against the house to get attention. You see, he quite frequently demands fresh hibiscus flower treats along with daily head rubs and shell scratches.




    I would never have imagined having to map out a long-term plan for a pet, but after adopting Yertle, our life would be lacking without him. For anyone considering adopting a Tortoise, I highly recommend getting in touch with the AZGFD for information on how to provide proper care and living arrangements. There are many tortoises in need of homes, but remember, NEVER take a wild tortoise out of the desert and NEVER release a captive tortoise into the wild.





Arizona Game and Fish Department: Adoption Information






Comments

  1. Hey Jennifer,

    You did again! I love reading your blogs, this one was one of my favorites. How neat to have a
    tortoise, I showed my family and they want one.
    Your pictures, are amazing. I love the name and the history of how you found him. Your descriptive words and pictures add life to the blog and keep your audience engaged and captivated.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is really well written. It is very engaging and you seem to have a knack for storytelling. Give Yertle some extra head scratches for me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#4 Final Score: Lemon Marmalade 0, Me 1

#9 Fueling Up The Right Way

#5 No Thank You Mr. Raccoon